Biden visit: Monkey menace at Gandhi Smriti puts cops in tizzy
New Delhi: Monkeys gave a tough time to security and police personnel during US Vice President Joe Biden`s visit to Gandhi Smriti to pay tribute to the father of the nation.
Biden, his wife Jill, daughter and son-in-law headed straight from airport to the Gandhi memorial house at `Tees January marg` and spent about one-and-a-half hours at the place.
Even before he arrived at the memorial, Delhi Police personnel, who were coordinating security arrangements of the VIP along with Secret Service Agents of the US administration, had a tough time sanitising the open area around Gandhi`s statue where the Vice President was supposed to pose for shutterbugs.
A group of simians swooped on the trees nibbling on raw mangoes and dropping the fruits right where Biden was to stand.
Delhi Police officials then posted few personnel to pick the fruits and keep the space spic and span as they even suggested Biden`s staff to skip the location fearing trouble or an untoward incident by the menacing monkeys.
Undeterred, the Vice President, however, reached the statue with his wife and family and posed for pictures along with Gandhi`s grand daughter Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee and centre director Mani Mala.
The security personnel heaved a sigh of relief as soon as the VIP convoy left for Taj Palace hotel where Biden and his entourage are staying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!