Bidve killing: `Psycho` Briton remanded to custody

Kiaran Stapleton has been charged with the murder of Indian student Anuj Bidve.

London/Pune: A 20-year-old British youth,
charged for the cold-blooded murder of Indian student Anuj
Bidve, shocked everyone on Monday by calling himself a "psycho" in
court before being remanded to custody even as two senior UK
police officials met the victim`s family in Pune, who sought

Stapleton was remanded to custody for 24 hours at the City
of Manchester Magistrates Court and there was no application
for bail.

The case has now been sent to the Manchester Crown Court.

Wearing a grey T-shirt and trousers, Stapleton was brought
in handcuffs into a court room packed with reporters. Asked to
confirm his name and address as per normal procedure in court,
the suspect said his name was "Psycho. Psycho Stapleton".

Bidve, a 23-year-old student of Lancaster University, was
shot dead on a Salford street on Boxing Day.

Meanwhile in Pune, Manchester chief police superintendent
Berry Russel Jackson and another official arrived this evening
and drove straight to Bidve family`s house in Chandannagar
area to discuss matters relating to the death of the Bidve,
who was doing MS degree in micro-electronics.
Bidve`s sister Suruchi Wagh said that she wanted justice
for her brother.

"Of the five people arrested, three have been released on
bail. The trial date will be told to us tomorrow when the
second post-mortem will be conducted by another pathologist.

"If the two post-mortem reports match, Anuj`s body will be
handed over to the Indian High Commission. We appeal that Anuj
should get justice...we trust the Greater Manchester Police
and the UK government," she told reporters.

Back in London, Bidve`s friends, local leaders and
residents prepared to attend a candle-light vigil in his
memory at the spot in Salford where he was killed.

In Salford, hundreds of people are expected to attend the
event initially organised by friends of Bidve on Facebook.
Senior Labour MP Keith Vaz is also expected to attend, besides
local leaders and residents appalled at the incident.

Officers from the Greater Manchester Police last night
left for India to meet Bidve`s family.
Bidve had died from a single gunshot wound to the head. He
was described by tutors as "an outstanding applicant at the
very beginning of a promising career".

The Greater Manchester Police said the reward of 50,000
pounds for information related to the case was still on offer.

Talking about the police officials visit to Pune,
Assistant Chief Constable Dawn Copley said: "We felt it
was important to make personal contact with the family and
offer them every support we could at this difficult time.

"We need to explain to them in person where we are up to
in the investigation and what we are doing to ensure Anuj`s
body is released to them as soon as possible".

She added: "Having this conversation face-to-face is
absolutely the right thing to do and we will of course
continue to provide whatever support we can when the family
arrive in the UK and once they have returned home".

The police was liaising with the coroner about returning
Bidve`s body to his family members, who are expected to reach
Manchester later this week.

The Indian high commission is facilitating the process.
Manchester later this week.

Copley said: "This remains a complex investigation and the
fact we have charged someone does not mean the investigation
is complete".