Bidve’s family heads to UK to claim his body
London: The family members of murdered Indian student Anuj Bidve on Wednesday morning left for UK to claim and bring his body back home. As per reports, Bidve’s parents and his brother-in-law Rakesh Sonawane left Pune for Mumbai from where they will board a flight to the UK.
The UK police handed over Bidve`s body to the Indian High Commission yesterday.
The authorities in UK are extending full help to complete all the formalities so that Bidve`s family can return to India on Friday with his body.
The coroner is likely to release the body of the 23-year-old for repatriation to India after a second post-mortem was conducted on him yesterday.
The family members of the 23-year-student are also likely to visit Ordsall Lane in Salford near Manchester where Anuj was shot dead at point blank range on December 26 when he was walking down the street with a group of Indian friends.
They were visiting the town during their Christmas vacation from college. He had moved to Lancaster University from his hometown in Pune in 2010.
The visit to the UK comes after the Bidve family met with two officers from the Greater Manchester police at their home in Pune for the second time yesterday, the first being on Monday. The cops have promised the family that they will ensure justice for the 23-year-old student.
Meanwhile, the 20-year-old Briton accused of killing Bidve was remanded yesterday to custody until March 20 when the next hearing is scheduled. Kiaran Stapleton, who described himself as "Psycho Stapleton" at Manchester Magistrates Court on Monday, appeared before the Manchester Crown Court yesterday via video-link from prison.
The police have said that they are treating the murder as a hate crime. The seemingly unprovoked attack on Bidve has come as a major embarrassment for the UK police as it has been heavily criticised for inaction, insensitivity and red tape. It has also raised questions about the safety of foreign students in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says