Big B for Dhoni, says unfair to target him
New Delhi: Mahender Singh Dhoni, who stands to lose his captaincy after the Indian team`s poor performance at the World Twenty20, has found a steadfast supporter in Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan who says he is "appalled" at the way the cricketer is being targeted.
After the Indian team`s early exit from the tournament, the team, particularly Dhoni, has been facing flak from authorities, public and the media. But Amitabh feels it is not right to target a sportsperson like this.
"I am appalled at the way M.S. Dhoni has been targeted. A week ago he was the apple of your eye and within seconds, in a show smacking of frivolity, you have through deliberate and unjustifiable cut, paste technology, made him into the creator of all that ails Indian cricket.
"This is most unjust and unfair. It is easy to sit behind closed air-conditioned doors and draw up plans on how cricket needs to be played. But get on to the pitch and feel the pain and agony and stress and pressures of a game before you draw conclusions," the 67-year-old posted on his blog.
The actor, who is a self-confessed cricket fan, admits he is also disappointed with the team`s performance, but doesn’t believe in killing their morale by constant criticism.
"We are all very disappointed with the outcome of the T20 championships, but don’t destroy the spirit of these magnificent athletes. From the early hours of the morning, the electronic (media) has only crucified the team and done nothing else. Don’t kill their morale for god’s sake,"` he said.
The 67-year-old veteran said that it is easy to sit
behind closed air-conditioned doors and draw up plans on how
cricket needs to be played, asking the critics to get on to
the pitch and feel the "pain and agony" of a game.
Bachchan said that the media should recall the
glorious victory of the year when the Indian team had won the
World Championships, rather than pick on the players in their
"If I was heading a channel, I would repeatedly keep showing in my broadcast, the glorious victory of the year when we won the World Championships, rather than dwell on our players in their weaker moments,” he wrote.
“Come on Dhoni! You can do it. I have faith in you and your wonderful band of brothers in the team. Regroup, regain and WIN," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi