`Biggest` ceasefire violation in J&K
Jammu: A Junior Commissioned Officer was
injured as Pakistani troops pounded Indian posts with 15
rockets and opened indiscriminate machine gun fire along the
Line of Control in Poonch district in the "biggest" ceasefire
violation in Jammu and Kashmir.
There were 17 infiltration bids and nine truce violations
along the border this year. The last ceasefire violation
occurred on January 26 when Pakistani troops resorted to
unprovoked firing in Kanachak sub-sector of Jammu.
Pakistani troops fired 15 under-barrel grenade launcher
rockets on five Indian forward defence locations from its
eight border posts along the LoC in Krishna Gati sub-sector of
Poonch district at around 18:15 hours last night, Brigadier
General Staff, 16 Corps, Brig Gurdeep Singh said on Sunday.
It was followed by the heavy firing by machine guns on
the forward posts, he said, adding "the heavy and
indiscriminate firing continued for two hours".
The rockets missed the intended target and exploded near
the posts, he said adding that one JCO Subedar P C Thakur of
17 Mahar Regiment was wounded and taken to a hospital.
Indian troops fired from small arms weapons and
intermittent exchanges ended early today, he said.
"It was for the first time such a large number of rockets
were fired and also several Pakistani posts were involved in
the firing with heavy weapons," Brig Gurdeep said.
"This is biggest ceasefire violation so far. We will
lodge a strong protest with our Pakistani counterparts at a
flag meeting today," he said.
The aim of the firing by Pakistani troops was to give
cover to infiltrating militants, officials said adding,
however, their objective was not successful as all the border
posts were alerted.
"Pakistani forward posts were instrumental in
facilitating infiltration into Indian territory," BSF DIG S
Sagwan had said earlier.
Information from various security agencies involved in
security grid in Jammu and Kashmir has put figure of
infiltration attempts at 433 in 2009, which is 91 attempts
more than 2008.
As per the police figures, 342 infiltration attempts were
made from across the border in 2008, while 2007 and 2006
reported 535 and 573 such attempts along LoC and IB in Jammu
and Kashmir, where over 100 militants managed to sneak in.
The BSF had said infiltration attempts along the border
is up and measures have been taken by security forces to foil
these bids as it is an area of concern at a time when violence
has gone down in Jammu and Kashmir.
Addressing the Chief Ministers` Conference on Internal
Security in New Delhi earlier this month, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh had said though there has been a marked decline
in the number of terrorist incidents from 2008 to 2009 in
Jammu and Kashmir, infiltration levels have shown an increase
in the same period and "recently there have been some
incidents which are disturbing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22