Bihar BJP gives go-ahead to split with JD(U): Reports
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Days after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) elevated Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its poll panel chief, it now appears certain that the NDA is headed for a split with the JD(U) not willing to move from its stand.
In the wake of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar failing to give any assurance to veteran BJP leader L K Advani and party president Rajnath Singh, the Bihar unit of the party called an emergency meet of its office-bearers yesterday.
According to sources, the BJP office-bearers gave their go-ahead for a split with the JD(U). Meanwhile, a report said that deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi has asked officials to not seek his approval or clearance for any work. This suggests that the Bihar BJP is already considering itself out of the alliance.
Another report said that BJP leaders in the state were upset with senior JD(U) leaders questioning the existence of the NDA alliance in Bihar. The crucial meeting, which went on for over three hours, was attended by senior leaders, including BJP vice president C P Thakur, deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi and other MLAs.
This came after the BJP said that no assurance had been given to the JD(U), which is opposed to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s elevation as Election Campaign Committee head of the right-wing party.
In reply to a question on the issue, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman had said, "I don`t think there is an assurance to JD(U) on who will or who will not be the Prime Ministerial candidate of the party."
It is widely believed in BJP and NDA that it is a near certainty that Modi will be the PM candidate of the party after his elevation at the Goa conclave as campaign committee head.
Sitharaman also insisted JD(U) cannot decide on who should be the PM candidate of BJP.
"The decision to choose A or B or C is entirely the business of BJP," she added.
However, she maintained that BJP does not want to snap ties with JD(U) which is an old ally. She further said the government in Bihar has been formed after the people of the state gave a mandate to JD(U)-BJP alliance. It was not a vote for a particular party or an individual.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation