Bihar CM criticises proposed police reform policy
New Delhi: The Union government`s proposed
police reform policy suggesting appointment and fixing of the
tenure of a state police chief by the Centre on Tuesday came in for
strident criticism from Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
"The Centre should also desist from framing rules
providing for any type of role to be exercised by the UPSC or
Ministry of Home Affairs in matters like selection of DGP.
"The efforts of the union government to maintain internal
security will succeed only if states are enabled to exercise
effective control over policing, dilution of which under the
guise of police reforms must be avoided," he said at an
internal security conference here.
Urging the participating CMs to build a consensus to
protect the accountability of the police force to the state
government, Kumar said, "If some people think that powers of
the state governments need to be curtailed...they should press
for constitutional amendment to remove police and public order
from the administrative and legislative purview of the states
and give the powers and the responsibility to the Centre."
Underlining the need for a fine balance between granting
of functional autonomy to police and keeping them under
overall control of the government, Kumar claimed the security
scenario in Bihar has improved and police there now enjoyed
more functional freedom to take action and decisions in crime
control and investigations.
Kumar demanded that the Centre should reimburse Rs 613.15
crore spent by the state for upgrading roads in Naxal-hit
"My government had a disappointing experience when
reimbursement of expenditure incurred by us for developing
roads in Naxal-affected areas was refused by the Centre
despite repeated pleas. In this way, our proactive action for
development was not recognised and rewarded, rather we got
penalised for the same," he said.
He also requested the Centre to provide 400 CRPF
companies for Bihar panchayat elections, due in May.
Noting that strengthening of intelligence wing is a
priority area for the state, Kumar said his government was
working to restructure the Special Branch of the Intelligence
by creating separate divisions to deal with public law and
order, national security, technical support and determination.
Welcoming the Home Ministry`s approval of the proposal
for constructing seven roads in Bihar along the Indo-Nepal
border, Kumar said there is a need to increase the deployment
of SSB jawans there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'