Bihar CM in land acquisition row
New Delhi: After BSP chief Mayawati, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has now landed in troubled waters as he faces allegations of gifting valuable land meant for industrial purpose to his close relatives, ministers and top rung officials of his administration.
The Opposition legislators on Tuesday created a ruckus in the Bihar Assembly hurling allegations that the Chief Minister had misused his official position and gifted plots belonging to the Bihar Industrial Area Development Authority (BIADA) to his relatives and close aides.
The Opposition claimed that the plots have been gifted to sons, daughters or close relatives of ministers, MPs and MLAs of the ruling JD(U)-BJP alliance.
Demanding a thorough probe into the land allotment done by the state government, the Opposition has sought immediate removal of the Chief Minister following the exposure.
The BIADA is a state government body that works under the chairmanship of the Principal Secretary, Department of Industries, Government of Bihar, and allots land for industrial units.
The allotment is supposed to be done after due process and proper tender. But it has come to light that the Nitish government has allotted several BIADA plots to relatives of ruling BJP-JD(U) alliance legislators without inviting proper tender.
As per reports, HRD Minister in Nitish cabinet PK Shahi’s daughter Urvashi Shahi has been given a plot of 87120 sq.ft. while JD(U) MLA Jagdish Sharma’s son Rahul Kumar has got a plot of 15500 sq ft. Social Welfare Minister Perveen Amanullah and senior IAS officer Afzal Amanullah’s daughter Rahmat Fatima has been given 87120 sq.ft.
The Nitish government has categorically rejected claims made by the Opposition and said that neither the allotment of BIADA land is illegal, nor is the allotment to relatives of legislators.
However, it raises questions about the credibility of an ‘honest’ government when sons and daughters of sitting ministers are given government lands for industrial units despite none of the beneficiaries having any back record of running factory.
As BJP is partner of the ruling alliance, so it is also not behind JD(U), big partner, in looting the booty, it has been alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive