Bihar has highest conviction rate in country: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday claimed that Bihar has attained the highest conviction rate in the country and praised the judiciary for assisting the state government in ushering in the rule of law.
"With the help of judiciary, the state government has achieved the highest conviction rate in the country," Kumar said at a conference of the Eastern Zone regional judicial conference on `Administration of Criminal Justice: Issue and Problem.`
Kumar alleged that a `reign of terror` had prevailed during the tenure of the previous regime and people lived constantly in an atmosphere of fear and said, "at present, it is visible that there is peace and rule of law in Bihar."
The state government has created a data base of witnesses to ensure their presence during trial of the cases that helped speedy disposal of cases, he said.
The state government has also been publishing names of convicted criminals with all details on government websites to make them feel the civil consequence of crime, he said, adding that they would not get various socio-economic benefits and would be barred from contesting polls.
Kumar also said that the state government has enacted the Special Court Act for speedy trial of cases related to corruption and wealth amassed through corrupt means by five public servants have been confiscated and a school set up at one such confiscated property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”