Bihar has highest conviction rate in country: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday claimed that Bihar has attained the highest conviction rate in the country and praised the judiciary for assisting the state government in ushering in the rule of law.
"With the help of judiciary, the state government has achieved the highest conviction rate in the country," Kumar said at a conference of the Eastern Zone regional judicial conference on `Administration of Criminal Justice: Issue and Problem.`
Kumar alleged that a `reign of terror` had prevailed during the tenure of the previous regime and people lived constantly in an atmosphere of fear and said, "at present, it is visible that there is peace and rule of law in Bihar."
The state government has created a data base of witnesses to ensure their presence during trial of the cases that helped speedy disposal of cases, he said.
The state government has also been publishing names of convicted criminals with all details on government websites to make them feel the civil consequence of crime, he said, adding that they would not get various socio-economic benefits and would be barred from contesting polls.
Kumar also said that the state government has enacted the Special Court Act for speedy trial of cases related to corruption and wealth amassed through corrupt means by five public servants have been confiscated and a school set up at one such confiscated property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!