Bihar may have to pay price if BJP-JD(U) alliance ends: Jaitley
London: Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Friday sent out a stark message to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar over a possible JD(U) split with the NDA, saying the state might have to pay a price if the alliance ends.
"All I will say is that Bihar was in a terrible situation for years and in the last seven-eight years, I think things have improved. Therefore, it is in everyone`s interests, including the interest of the state, to keep the political and social alliance which has been able to deliver an impact."
"And, if we are not able to keep it intact, I only hope Bihar does not have a price to pay for it," the senior BJP leader said during the India Day seminar at Oxford University.
Discussing the future of India`s parliamentary democracy at the event, Jaitley also dismissed the threat of a Third Front emerging in India.
"The Third Front is a failed idea. It has been experimented at least three or four times in India and hasn`t lasted beyond a few months. India can hardly afford instability of that kind. You can`t have a national government where the anchor of a coalition government doesn`t have more than 25 or 30 seats. The anchor of a coalition has to be a national political party with 150-200 seats, only then India can have a stable coalition," he said.
The former law minister also blamed the "feudal" nature of Indian politics for some of the problems with its parliamentary democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...