Bihar opposition creates ruckus over liquor, graft
Patna: The Bihar assembly`s month-long budget session began here Monday on a stormy note as the opposition parties attacked the government over its liquor policy, poor law and order situation, and rampant graft in the state.
A legislator of the main opposition Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) sat outside the assembly with three bottles of liquor to protest "double standards" of the Janata Dal-United led government of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in its liquor policy.
RJD legislator Bhai Dinesh Kumar Singh taunted the government by saying it should now sell liquor in the assembly canteens to earn more revenue if the motive of the government is to earn money.
"I and my party members would raise the issue of liquor ban during the budget session," Singh said.
The RJD has demanded ban on liquor in Bihar and wanted the state government to discuss the issue of deaths of nearly 100 people in hooch tragedies in the state in the last few months.
The budget session began with the customary address by the state governor to the joint sitting of the two houses of the state legislature.
Opposition RJD, Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) and the Congress members tried to create an uproar when Governor Devanand Konwar was reading out his address.
The opposition will corner the government on several fronts, including the issue of rampant corruption and poor law and order condition in the state, Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddiqui said.
Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi will table the Economic Survey report Feb 19 and will present the 2013-2014 state budget Feb 21.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know