Bihar PCC Chief, AICC in-charge removed amid reports of feud
New Delhi: Seeking to set its house in order
in poll-bound Bihar, Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday
removed PCC chief Anil Sharma and AICC in-charge Jagdish
Tytler from their posts and brought in Muslim face Mehboob Ali
Kaiser as the new party chief in the state.
AICC general secretary Mukul Wasnik has been made
in-charge of the state while Tytler has been given the charge
of Congress Seva Dal, a task being handled so far by Wasnik, a
party statement said here.
Gandhi`s action is aimed at ending the internal feud in
the Bihar unit, where Sharma and Tytler had been at
loggerheads for the past two months.
The action came close on the heels of about 100-odd PCC
office bearers and Executive Committee members offering to
quit from party posts. Those who offered their resignation
included MLAs, MLCs and former PCC chiefs like Sadanand Singh.
Kaiser was among the leaders who sought a change in the state
In a letter to Gandhi, the office-bearers of the PCC
claimed the party was in shambles in the state. They alleged
it has been completely hijacked by "rejected people" from RJD,
BJP, LJP, JD(U) and that Delhi and Bangalore-based contractors
and businessmen were trying to "grab the party".
A copy of the letter was also submitted to Rahul Gandhi.
Earlier too, the state unit found itself in the middle of
a controversy over inclusion of caste names in the list of
various committees constituted to prepare for polls.
There were also reports of some section demanding that
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, a prominent Dalit face, be made
either PCC chief or projected as the party`s chief ministerial
candidate in the state where Congress is out of power for the
past over two decades. Wasnik, who has been made the AICC
in-charge of the party is a Dalit.
Congress Legislature Party leader in the state Prakash
Ram, former Union Minister Shakeel Ahmed and former PCC chief
Sadanand Singh were in the race for the party`s top job which
finally went to Kaiser.
His appointment comes at a time when the Congress has
announced that it will go alone in the upcoming polls after it
ended the alliance with Lalu Prasad`s RJD during the last Lok
The dates for the Bihar Assembly elections are likely to
be announced before October this year.
The appointment of Kaiser is also apparently aimed at
wooing the Muslim vote-bank. The party had got wide support of
the community in the Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh.
Incidentally, Prasad`s dominance in the state earlier was
also due to his Muslim-Yadav vote combination.
The party recently sent clear signals that it will have
no truck with RJD in the Bihar Assembly polls and even decided
not to support any of its candidate for the Rajya Sabha
elections taking place this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex