Bihar police officer in Gujarat to probe advt row, recalled
Ahmedabad: The Bihar government had
despatched a senior police officer to Surat to inquire into
the advertisements that strained BJP`s alliance with JD-U in
the state before calling him back without assigning any
"We had sent one officer to Surat to inquire into the
advertisements given here," Additional Director General of
Bihar Police, Pramod Kumar Thakur, said over phone.
"However, we have called him back," he said, without
According to sources in Surat, DSP Rakesh Dubey had
been in Surat since the past few days and questioned a couple
of businessmen who have their origins in Bihar and are
associated with Bihar Vikas Parishad that issued the
advertisement prior to Modi`s visit to Bihar early this month.
The advertisements showing Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi with his Bihar counterpart Nitish Kumar were
published in Patna dailies and had elicited a sharp response
from Kumar, who cancelled a dinner hosted for the BJP top
brass during the party`s national executive in Patna.
Kumar also returned to Gujarat government its Rs 5
crore relief for the Kosi flood victims.
Meanwhile, Gujarat police said they were not aware
about the presence of an officer from Bihar in the state.
"It is not necessary for any officer from other state
to inform the local police. It all depends on the nature of
inquiry and the kind of assistance they want. It is not
mandatory to inform local police," Surat Range IG AK Singh
Gujarat government spokesperson Jaynarayan Vyas
declined to comment when asked about the issue.
Meanwhile, the BJP is furious over the development.
"When BJP came to know that a Bihar police team had been
sent to Surat, it took serious note of the matter. Senior BJP
leader M Venkaiah Naidu contacted JD(U) president Sharad Yadav
to express our anger at this development," a senior BJP
leader, preferring anonymity, said.
BJP sources said its top leaders from Bihar were furious
to know that a Bihar police team had visited Surat.
"This means Nitish is still in a mood for a fight. If he
really wants to reconcile why would he send a police team?
This may force us to break the alliance with JD(U)," a senior
BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP