Bihar`s SGDP growth rate over 11% during past 5 yrs
Ranchi: Bihar has registered a state gross
domestic product (SGDP) growth rate of above 11 per cent
during the past five years, one of the best in the country,
finds a report.
In addition, foodgrains production was 60 per cent higher
in 2008-09 than in 2004-05, according to the `Bihar
Development Report` prepared by a newspaper
The report, to be released on Thursday by Chief Minister
Nitish Kumar, says that between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the
growth rate of the SGDP was 11.03 per cent, one of the best in
In the year 2008-09, the SGDP growth of the state stood
at 11.44 per cent, which was the best among the 18 states of
the country for which the statistical data was available.
The Chief Editor of the group, Harivansh, said here in a
statement that Bihar produced 122 lakh tonnes of foodgrains in
the year 2008-09 against only 77.04 lakh tonnes of foodgrains
in 2004-05, a whopping growth of over 60 per cent.
The average growth rate of foodgrains production in Bihar
during the five-year period was 12.3 per cent, against the
national average growth of only 4.5 per cent, he added.
The report says that the share of the service sector in
the state`s economy grew to 60 per cent in the year 2007-08
from only 51 per cent in 2001-02.
The share of the industrial sector also grew from 11 per
cent to 16 per cent in the same period.
During the period, the share of the agricultural sector
to the state`s GDP dropped from 37.9 per cent to only 24.8 per
Giving an example of the growth of the services sector,
he said that telephone density in the state in the last five
years has grown at the rate of 121.9 per cent per year, while
the average national growth was only 67.4 per cent.
Neighbouring Jharkhand could only manage a telephone
density growth of 21.2 per cent, he added.
The report, which has been prepared by research agency
Indicus Analytics for the newspaper group, says if the state
can maintain the present economic growth rate, it could
achieve the size of the Maharashtra economy in the next 16
The full report will be released by Bihar CM Nitish Kumar
in Patna on Thursday, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof