Bihar`s Super 30 impresses Hollywood`s Cameron
Patna: Hollywood filmmaker James Cameron was all ears when Anand Kumar, who founded Bihar`s Super 30 free coaching centre for students, narrated the real life stories of hope that his institute has generated year after year.
"Cameron told me it was amazing to listen to my real life stories of hope. He was so impressed that he hinted at using such stories with people across the world," Kumar, who shared the platform with Cameron during the Innovation and Knowledge Conference in Lavasa, Maharashtra, said.
Kumar`s Super 30 centre has helped many poor students enter the prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
He said Cameron, the acclaimed Canadian filmmaker of "Titanic", "Terminator", "Aliens" and "Avataar", appreciated his efforts and promised to visit Patna.
The conference was held at Hill City of Lavasa Friday in association with Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) to promote innovation in diverse fields.
Kumar said it was a matter of great pride that a teacher like him was given an opportunity to speak before such distinguished personalities. "It was an honour for my state also where I grew up and started my institute," he said.
He said he narrated some untold stories of young and talented underprivileged students from Bihar and their journey to the IITs. It drew tremendous appreciation from the audience, Kumar added.
"They clapped when I narrated my journey of the boy next door in the backwaters of Bihar, who struggled to carry on his studies due to extreme poverty, to a harbinger of hope for the poor students.
"It has ushered in a silent social revolution, which has transformed many a family. But it is just a small effort," he said, adding his dream was to set up a school for the poorest of the poor.
In the last three years, all 30 students of Super 30 have made it to the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) conducted by the IITs. Since 2003, 212 students of the institute have made it to the IITs.
Kumar, who himself missed a chance to study at Cambridge University because he didn`t have enough money, gives full scholarships to every annual batch of 30 students.
They have to pass a competitive test to get into Super 30 and then commit themselves to a year of 16-hour study each day.
Kumar, who started the Ramanujam School of Mathematics in 1992, founded the Super 30 in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now