Bill fixing 16 yrs as consent age for sex in Budget session
New Delhi: A bill fixing 16 years as the
age of consent for sex is among other proposed legislations
slated for introduction in Parliament during the current
The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Bill
which seeks to bring sexual offences against children under
legal purview for the first time and award harsh punishment to
offenders, will be tabled during the session which began
Earlier reports that the proposed bill would legalise
consensual sexual relations between 12-year olds, had
generated a lot of hue and cry.
But the Women and Child Development Ministry was quick
to clarify that the draft of the bill does not talk about
legally permitting 12-year-old children to have
non-penetrative sex and instead fixes the age of consent at 16
years and above.
Ministry sources said the bill might be introduced in
the second half of the session as it was yet to be cleared by
Another proposed legislation to be introduced this
session seeks to prohibit indecent representation of women
through advertisements or in publications, writings or
The Women`s Reservation Bill is also among the 31
bills to be brought for consideration and passage during the
The bill, already passed by Rajya Sabha, seeks to
provide one third reservation to women in the Lok Sabha and
the state assemblies.
In her address to the joint session of Parliament
today, President Pratibha Patil expressed the hope that the
women`s bill would be considered by the Lok Sabha at the
However, the Protection of Women against Sexual
Harassment at Workplace Bill was still under the scrutiny of
Parliament`s Standing Committee on Women.
The bill, introduced in the last session, seeks to
ensure a safe environment for women at work places, both in
public and private sectors whether organised or unorganised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested