Bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` soon: Minister
Hyderabad: The bill for establishment of an "Equal Opportunities Commission" recommended by Rajinder Sachar Committee is likely to be moved soon, Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rehman Khan said here on Sunday.
"The bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` would be moved in two-three months and it will become a law," he said at a convention organised by the `All India Minorities Forum`.
The commission will have many powers and address issues of any discrimination or injustice concerning minorities, he said.
Observing that seeking reservation was not wrong, he said the Congress would fulfill its promise to provide quota for Muslim minorities.
Congress has promised to give reservation on the model of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Noting that Muslim minorities did not seek reservation on the basis of religion, he said the quota was sought for Muslims as a section of the society and on the basis of their backwardness.
Citing various features of the Constitution, he asserted that it provides rights to every section.
The Forum, led by former Andhra Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Mohd Ali Shabbir, voiced demands like reservation for Muslim minorities, sub-plan for Muslims on the lines of the sub-plan for SC/STs passed by the state assembly recently among others at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued