Bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` soon: Minister
Hyderabad: The bill for establishment of an "Equal Opportunities Commission" recommended by Rajinder Sachar Committee is likely to be moved soon, Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rehman Khan said here on Sunday.
"The bill for `Equal Opportunities Commission` would be moved in two-three months and it will become a law," he said at a convention organised by the `All India Minorities Forum`.
The commission will have many powers and address issues of any discrimination or injustice concerning minorities, he said.
Observing that seeking reservation was not wrong, he said the Congress would fulfill its promise to provide quota for Muslim minorities.
Congress has promised to give reservation on the model of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
Noting that Muslim minorities did not seek reservation on the basis of religion, he said the quota was sought for Muslims as a section of the society and on the basis of their backwardness.
Citing various features of the Constitution, he asserted that it provides rights to every section.
The Forum, led by former Andhra Pradesh minister and senior Congress leader Mohd Ali Shabbir, voiced demands like reservation for Muslim minorities, sub-plan for Muslims on the lines of the sub-plan for SC/STs passed by the state assembly recently among others at the meeting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram