Bill for gender equality in Guardians Act, Hindu Adoption Act
New Delhi: A bill was on Thursday introduced in the
Rajya Sabha to bring gender equality in the Guardians and
Wards Act and the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act.
The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2010 seeks to amend
the Guardians and Wards Act 1890 to include the mother along
with the father as a fit person to be appointed as guardian so
that courts do not appoint any other person as a guardian of a
minor if either of the parents is fit to be the guardian.
The Bill introduced by Law Minister M Veerappa Moily also
seeks to amend the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956 to
remove the incapacity of a married woman to adopt a son or a
daughter merely on the basis of her marital status.
It provides that the mother with the consent of the father
and vice-versa, shall have equal right to give in adoption of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!