Bill for gender equality in Guardians Act, Hindu Adoption Act
New Delhi: A bill was on Thursday introduced in the
Rajya Sabha to bring gender equality in the Guardians and
Wards Act and the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act.
The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2010 seeks to amend
the Guardians and Wards Act 1890 to include the mother along
with the father as a fit person to be appointed as guardian so
that courts do not appoint any other person as a guardian of a
minor if either of the parents is fit to be the guardian.
The Bill introduced by Law Minister M Veerappa Moily also
seeks to amend the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956 to
remove the incapacity of a married woman to adopt a son or a
daughter merely on the basis of her marital status.
It provides that the mother with the consent of the father
and vice-versa, shall have equal right to give in adoption of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi