Bill for gender equality in Guardians Act, Hindu Adoption Act
New Delhi: A bill was on Thursday introduced in the
Rajya Sabha to bring gender equality in the Guardians and
Wards Act and the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act.
The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2010 seeks to amend
the Guardians and Wards Act 1890 to include the mother along
with the father as a fit person to be appointed as guardian so
that courts do not appoint any other person as a guardian of a
minor if either of the parents is fit to be the guardian.
The Bill introduced by Law Minister M Veerappa Moily also
seeks to amend the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956 to
remove the incapacity of a married woman to adopt a son or a
daughter merely on the basis of her marital status.
It provides that the mother with the consent of the father
and vice-versa, shall have equal right to give in adoption of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise