Bill for improved safety standards in highways in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: A bill to facilitate setting up of
an independent body to put in place safety provisions for
national highways and improved safety standards in road
designs was introduced in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
The National Road Safety and Traffic Management Board
Bill was introduced by Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath.
The Board will be set up for the purpose of orderly
development, regulation, promotion and optimization of modern
and effective road safety and traffic management system,
the minister said.
It will also seek to introduce improved safety standards
in highway design, construction, operation and regulate high
standards in production and maintenance of mechanically
propelled vehicles, he said.
The decision is crucial considering the increasing number
of deaths on highways, which already accounts for most road
fatalities in the world.
The minister noted that the number of deaths in road
accidents has increased to 1.14 lakh in 2007 from 84,674
deaths in 2002.
The bill also envisages creation of National Road Safety
and Traffic Management Fund or meeting the expenses of the
Board by levying one per cent of cess on petrol and diesel.
The proposed national road safety and traffic management
board will be responsible for prescribing steps to uplift
safety standards in the design, construction and maintenance
of highways, besides suggesting safety measures for motor
The board will have the authority to conduct regular
safety audits of national highways and establish proper
procedure for collection, transmission and analysis of road
It will also advise the Centre on administering the road
The bill has provisions of slapping a penalty of Rs 10
lakh for failing to maintain standards by the builder while
constructing national highways as recommended by the Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray