Bill for no immediate disqualification of convicted MPs, MLAs
New Delhi: Moving to overturn a Supreme Court ruling, a bill was introduced in Rajya Sabha under which convicted MPs and MLAs cannot be disqualified immediately even though they will be barred from voting in the House and drawing their salary till their appeal is decided.
The Representation of the People (Second Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2013, introduced by Law Minister Kapil Sibal also seeks to negate the apex court verdict on immediate disqualification.
The bill to amend the Representation of the People Act makes it clear that an MP or MLA cannot be disqualified after conviction if his or her appeal is pending before a court and sentence is stayed.
Opposing the introduction of the bill, Rangasayee Ramakrishna (BJP) said this was against the Supreme Court ruling and will not be sustainable.
Sibal said, "We have reframed section 84 and the nature of the proviso is entirely different to what the Supreme Court had objected."
The bill says, "...A disqualification under any of the said sub-sections shall not, in the case of a person who on the date of the conviction is a member of Parliament or the legislature of a state, take effect, if an appeal or application for revision is filed in respect of the conviction and sentence within a period of 90 days from the date of conviction and such conviction or sentence is stayed by the court."
In the bill, a proviso has been added to sub-section (4) of section 8 of the RP Act which makes it clear that convicted member shall continue to take part in proceedings of Parliament or Legislature of a state but he or she shall neither be entitled to vote nor draw salary and allowances till the appeal or revision is finally decided by the court.
Once passed, the amendment to the RPA shall come into effect from July 10, 2013, the day the Supreme Court gave the landmark judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore