Bill for whistleblowers` safety introduced in Parliament
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said it
has introduced a bill in Parliament to provide adequate
security to individuals who expose corruption.
"The framework of existing laws such as Indian Penal
Code, Criminal Procedure Code etc. is considered adequate to
provide for safety and security to all citizens, including RTI
"A bill to protect persons who make public interest
disclosures has already been introduced in the Parliament. As
such, there is no proposal to amend the RTI Act for this
purpose," Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances
and Pensions V Narayanasamy told Rajya Sabha in a written
He said there have been reports in the media that some
persons have been murdered in the last two years allegedly due
to their role as RTI activists. Some of the persons who are
alleged to have been murdered include Ramdas Patil
Ghandegasonkar, Babbu Singh, Amit Jethwa, Datta Patil, Vitthal
Gite, Sola Ranga Rao and Arun Sawant.
As maintenance of law and order and providing security
for all citizens is primarily the subject matter of state
governments, the Centre has drawn the attention of States to
the media reports about the victimisation of people, who use
RTI to expose irregularities in administration.
"The States have been requested that if any such
instance comes to the notice, it should be promptly inquired
into and action be taken against the offenders," Narayanasamy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi