Bill for whistleblowers` safety introduced in Parliament
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said it
has introduced a bill in Parliament to provide adequate
security to individuals who expose corruption.
"The framework of existing laws such as Indian Penal
Code, Criminal Procedure Code etc. is considered adequate to
provide for safety and security to all citizens, including RTI
"A bill to protect persons who make public interest
disclosures has already been introduced in the Parliament. As
such, there is no proposal to amend the RTI Act for this
purpose," Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances
and Pensions V Narayanasamy told Rajya Sabha in a written
He said there have been reports in the media that some
persons have been murdered in the last two years allegedly due
to their role as RTI activists. Some of the persons who are
alleged to have been murdered include Ramdas Patil
Ghandegasonkar, Babbu Singh, Amit Jethwa, Datta Patil, Vitthal
Gite, Sola Ranga Rao and Arun Sawant.
As maintenance of law and order and providing security
for all citizens is primarily the subject matter of state
governments, the Centre has drawn the attention of States to
the media reports about the victimisation of people, who use
RTI to expose irregularities in administration.
"The States have been requested that if any such
instance comes to the notice, it should be promptly inquired
into and action be taken against the offenders," Narayanasamy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head