Bill in LS for prevention of terror financing
New Delhi: A bill to provide for effective
prevention of terror financing, counterfeiting of Indian
currency and to raise the period of banning an unlawful
organisation from two to five years, was introduced in the Lok
Sabha on Tuesday.
The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill,
introduced by Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh,
includes provisions to prevent the use of biological,
radiological, nuclear material or device for terror or other
It provides for an increase in the period of declaration
of an association as unlawful from two to five years, the
Statement of Objects and Reasons of the Bill said.
The Bill, which was brought on the basis of international
commitments made by India, enlarges the scope of the Act
relating to punishment for raising funds for terror acts.
It includes new provisions to "include within its scope,
offences by companies, societies or trusts and provide for
The legislation also includes provisions for forfeiture
and attachment of properties linked with terrorism or
India was recently admitted as the 34th member of the
Financial Action Task Force, an Inter-Governmental
organisation set up to devise policies to combat money
laundering and terror financing.
On the basis of India`s commitments to the Task Force,
various legislative and legally-binding measures were required
to be taken by March 31 next year.
In order to give effect to these commitments, the
legislation was introduced to make the Unlawful Activities
(Prevention) Act of 1967 more effective in preventing
terrorist and other unlawful activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city