Bill introduced in Lok Sabha to repeal 36 obsolete laws
New Delhi: Seeking to clear the statute books of antiquated laws, a bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha on Monday to repeal 36 Acts, including one which amends the marriage laws.
Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad introduced The Repealing and Amending Bill, 2014, which seeks to remove certain Amendment Acts and Principal Acts from the statute books as they have outlived their utility.
This is the first time since 2001 that such an exercise is being undertaken by the Law Ministry.
Through the bill, government also seeks to amend a `patent error` committed by the Law Ministry during the passage of the Whistleblowers Bill.
While the Bill became an Act in May this year, it is called the `Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011` instead of `2014`.
The Bill makes it clear that once the measure becomes an Act, it will not affect any other law in force.
The Amendment Acts which are sought to be repealed include amendments to the Representation of the People Act, Marriage Act, Election Laws, Divorce Laws and Anand Marriage Act and the Evidence Act.
Two of the stand alone Acts which will also be repealed through the bill are Foreign Jurisdiction Act, 1947, and Sugar Undertaking (Taking Over of Management) Act.
"The Bill is one of those periodical measures by which enactments which have ceased to be in force or have become obsolete or the retention whereof as separate Act is unnecessary are repealed or by which the formal defects detected in enactments are corrected," said the Statement of Objects and Reasons of the bill.
The decision is in tune with Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s agenda to do away with archaic laws which are hindering efficient governance.
After this, the government is likely to move another bill to repeal more of such Acts in the next session of Parliament. Between 1950 and 2001 over a hundred Acts have been repealed. At one time 100 such Acts were repealed in one go.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani