Bill passed to bar student leaders in University bodies
Kolkata: The West Bengal University Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was passed Thursday in the assembly here making a provision for exclusion of student representatives from attending the meetings of the various University bodies, the minutes of which could affect the general interest of the students.
Student representatives should not be allowed to attend the crucial meetings of the University bodies discussing matters on question papers or evaluation of answer sheets etc, state`s Higher Education Minister Bratya Basu said speaking about the Bill.
Basu also said that definition of the `teachers` and `teachers of the University` has been amended to exclude the part time and temporary teachers as they did not enjoy the same service benefits like the full time, permanent teachers.
The nominee of the University Grants Commission in the Search Committee has been replaced by a nominee of the state government, Basu said.
The Vice-Chancellor used to be appointed through a Search Committee, but there was no nominee of the state government in the Search Committee earlier, he said.
A detailed provisions have also been made for appointment of Deans through selection committee, as the Deans of the Faculty Councils are very important posts and without them the functions of the various bodies of the University would come to a standstill, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- French Open: Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair advance to second round
- Nextbit Robin launched in India at Rs 19,999; comes with 100GB cloud storage
- Faint-hearted? Don't watch this spine-chilling road accident video
- Volkswagen rolls out first Ameo from Pune plant
- Hyundai announces special discount for government employees