Bill to amend Medical Council of India Act passed
New Delhi: Amid din, the Lok Sabha today
passed a Bill to amend the Medical Council of India Act to
replace the existing MCI board, that is facing corruption
charges, with a seven-member panel of eminent doctors.
The corruption-ridden MCI, set up 76 years ago to
regulate medical education in the country, has already been
dissolved through an ordinance in May this year.
A six-member panel of doctors, led by gastro-enterologist
S K Sarin, has replaced its board of governors.
Introducing the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill,
2010, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had said certain events
in April had evoked public demand for immediate action.
One suggestion was bringing in an altogether new body,
while another idea was to amend the MCI Act, 1956.
The amendment bill deems that the MCI shall stand
superseded and the President, Vice President and other members
of the council shall vacate their offices and have no claim
for any compensation.
It says the council shall be reconstituted within a
period of one year from the date of supersession. Until a new
council is constituted, the board of Governors shall exercise
the powers and perform the functions of the council under the
MCI president Ketan Desai was arrested on April 22 by the
CBI for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to give
permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh
batch of students without having requisite infrastructure.
The MCI was established in 1934 under the Indian Medical
Council Act, 1933, now repealed, with the main function of
establishing uniform standards of higher qualifications in
medicine and recognition of medical institutions in India and
In 1956, the old Act was repealed and a new one enacted.
The Bill was passed amid a din, as dissatisfied by the
quantum of hike in the salaries approved by the Cabinet,
members from non-BJP opposition parties stalled proceedings in
the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'