Bill to amend Medical Council of India Act passed
New Delhi: Amid din, the Lok Sabha today
passed a Bill to amend the Medical Council of India Act to
replace the existing MCI board, that is facing corruption
charges, with a seven-member panel of eminent doctors.
The corruption-ridden MCI, set up 76 years ago to
regulate medical education in the country, has already been
dissolved through an ordinance in May this year.
A six-member panel of doctors, led by gastro-enterologist
S K Sarin, has replaced its board of governors.
Introducing the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill,
2010, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had said certain events
in April had evoked public demand for immediate action.
One suggestion was bringing in an altogether new body,
while another idea was to amend the MCI Act, 1956.
The amendment bill deems that the MCI shall stand
superseded and the President, Vice President and other members
of the council shall vacate their offices and have no claim
for any compensation.
It says the council shall be reconstituted within a
period of one year from the date of supersession. Until a new
council is constituted, the board of Governors shall exercise
the powers and perform the functions of the council under the
MCI president Ketan Desai was arrested on April 22 by the
CBI for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to give
permission to a Punjab medical college to recruit a fresh
batch of students without having requisite infrastructure.
The MCI was established in 1934 under the Indian Medical
Council Act, 1933, now repealed, with the main function of
establishing uniform standards of higher qualifications in
medicine and recognition of medical institutions in India and
In 1956, the old Act was repealed and a new one enacted.
The Bill was passed amid a din, as dissatisfied by the
quantum of hike in the salaries approved by the Cabinet,
members from non-BJP opposition parties stalled proceedings in
the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS