Bill to provide voting rights to NRIs tabled in RS
New Delhi: A bill to provide voting rights to Indians living abroad was introduced in Rajya Sabha on Saturday, with the government saying it would enable NRIs to participate
in their home country`s democratic process, which was their "legitimate" wish.
Moving the Representation of People (Amendment) Bill 2010, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily explained the details regarding the manner of enrolment of NRIs, the mode of voting and conditions for contesting elections.
He earlier withdrew the 2006 draft of the same proposed legislation saying he was doing so as it did not have details regarding modalities on conferring voting rights to NRIs.
"The fresh bill is more comprehensive," Moily said.
Pointing out that NRIs have been persistently demanding conferring of voting rights, he said though the issue had been receiving attention of the government for quite some time, the demand could not be met because of practical difficulties in enrolling them in the electoral rolls and allowing them to cast votes from outside India.
He said the right to vote, as demanded by these citizens of India living abroad, is a legitimate one and conferring such rights will enable them to participate in the democratic process.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Law and Justice examined the 2006 bill and recommended bringing a comprehensive one on the subject containing details regarding
the manner of their enrolment, mode of voting and conditions for contesting elections.
"In pursuance of the committee`s recommendations, it has been decided to withdraw the 2006 bill and introduce a fresh one in the current session of Parliament," Moily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?