Binayak awarded life sentence for helping Maoists
Raipur: Rights activist Binayak Sen, accused of links with Maoists, was Friday convicted for sedition and conspiracy by a court here. He was awarded life sentence.
District and Sessions Court judge BP Varma found Sen guilty on a variety of counts such as under 124 A and 120 B of the Indian Penal Code and also under the Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act. Sen, a medical doctor, had been out on bail since last year, is now under arrest.
As per the prosecution, Sen was involved in establishing an urban network for the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
Two others were also held guilty and awarded life sentences by the court today in the same case. They are Maoist ideologue Narayan Sanyal Narayan Sanyal and Kolkata based businessman Piyush Guha – both are already under arrest.
Piyush Guha is said to have been arrested in 2007 from Raipur. As per reports, several papers and magazines related to the Naxalite movement was recovered from him and he during interrogation named Dr Sen as the conduit between Sanyal and the underground Maoists.
The Chhattisgarh Police has termed the conviction of Dr Sen and others as a major achievement in its fight against the Naxals.
58-year-old Sen was picked up in May 2007 from Bilaspur under the stringent Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act. He was released in May 2009 on the order of the Supreme Court.
Reacting to the verdict, Dr Sen’s lawyer Mahendra Dube said that he was not satisfied and will advise his client to appeal in the higher court.
Meanwhile, right activists are protesting the verdict as they say that authorities trapped Sen - a gold medallist in medicine, Dr Sen is the vice president of the left-leaning organisation People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) and was awarded with the Jonathan Mann award for Global Rights and Human Rights in 2008.
"I lost my voice, please leave me," his distraught brother Dipankar Sen, in tears, told mediapersons at the court complex.
Kavita Srivastava, the People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) national general secretary, reacted angrily.
"This is a fabricated case by the Chhattisgarh government and police. It is hard to believe the judgment. We will go for appeal," she said.
Said Rajendra K Sail, former PUCL president: "It is injustice, totally disappointing. There was no evidence against Sen. We will appeal."
The court here had completed its hearing last week. It began the trial in May 2008 and examined 97 witnesses.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt