Birender Singh made member of CWC
New Delhi: Birender Singh was made a member of the Congress Working Committee on Monday, a day after he was dropped as the party general secretary.
The AICC also brought in two new secretaries - Girish Chodankar and Rajaram Pal, taking the total number of secretaries to 44.
Chodankar, a former Goa Youth Congress chief, has been attached to party vice president Rahul Gandhi. Pal, a Lok Sabha member from UP, was unattached.
Besides Chodankar, the two other secretaries who will help Rahul are Prabha Kishor Taviad and Suraj Hegde.
Rahul has kept to himself the charge of frontal organisations in the reshuffle.
In the reshuffle of the AICC secretariat yesterday, Singh - the senior leader from Haryana who was in-charge of Delhi, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand as party general secretary - was removed along with Ghulam Nabi Azad, Oscar Fernandes and Vilas Muttemwar.
AICC had later clarified that being Union Minister, Azad has not been retained as the general secretary in line with the decision taken at its `Chintan Shivir` in Jaipur that a person should either be in the government or the party.
While Muttemwar was removed as general secretary, he was made a permanent invitee to the CWC yesterday.
Fernandes was made a cabinet minister today.
The new additions in CWC and AICC secretaries were announced by party general secretary Ajay Maken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police