Birth of Lord Krishna celebrated with fervour
Mathura/Mumbai: Brijbhoomi reverberated with chants of Jai Sri Krishna on Janmashtami with the city of Mathura being thronged by lakhs of devotees on Friday. In Mumbai, every locality was filled with eager crowds chanting ‘Govina Aala Re’ as took take part in ‘Dahi Handi’ festival.
In Mathura, the festivities were centred at the Janmbhoomi temple ‘Bhagvat Bhavan’ with devotees queuing up for darshan since early morning. Bal Gopal was offered a lot of delicacies including his favourite laddoos.
Last year around 40 lakh people had taken part in the festivities at the temple, this year the number is expected to swell further.
In nearby Vrindavan, the temples were full of devotees who had converged at the temple town from across the country and the world.
Leaves from the Ashok tree and flowers were used to decorate homes. A swing was also prepared for the newborn Nandlala.
A ‘Shalegram’ (round black pebble) was taken as the lord’s symbol and was bathed in Panchaamrit (mixture of honey, ghee, powdered sugar, milk, curd) and dressed in new attire. Toys and sweets were also offered to the lord.
Govinda fervour in Mumbai
Mumbai was completely under the magic charm of Govinda with crowds thronging various locations across the country to take part in `Dahi Handi` festival. Chanting ‘Govinda Aala Re’ – to mark the birth of Lord Krishna - hundreds of mandals participated in the dahi handi events, where human pyramids were formed to reach pots containing dahi and cash prizes tied at tall heights. Prize money worth crores was up for grabs.
The city administration had mandated 40 feet as the upper ceiling for handi’s height. Today morning, the first handi was broken by Mahila Bal Gopal Dahi Handi Mandal, an all-women group. They broke the handi at an event in Dadar to create awareness against female foeticide.
Bollywood biggies added a touch of glamour to Janmashtami celebrations in Mumbai. Mumbai.
President Pranab Mukherjee extended his good wishes to citizens on the occasion of Janmashtami. "On the occasion of Janmashtami, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens. Let us on this auspicious day dedicate ourselves to the service of the nation. Let us concentrate on performing our duties without thinking about the rewards. Good results will definitely follow right actions. Let us imbibe Lord Krishna`s message of love and compassion, of oneness and pluralism and work together to take our great country forward," he said in his message.
Besides, Mumbai and Mathura, rest of the country also celebrated the festival with traditional fervour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Does Deepika Padukone's red hot avatar at IIFA 2016 remind you of Angelina Jolie at Oscars? See inside
- Brexit knocks off Rs 1.8 trillion from Indian stock market wealth
- Brexit impact: RBI will provide liquidity wherever necessary, says Raghuram Rajan
- I should speak less now, jokes Salman Khan
- POSTER alert! Erika Kaar in Ajay Devgn's 'Shivaay'