Bitti Mohanty insists he is `Raghav Rajan`
Kannur: The person arrested by Kerala police, whom they say is Bitti Mohanty, is learnt to have refused to cooperate with the investigating officials and stuck to his fake identity of `Raghav Rajan`.
Reports suggest that the arrested man has refused to submit his laptop and passport to the police. He is scheduled to be produced in a local court here today.
Earlier, Kannur SP Rahul Nair held a meeting with state police officials to discuss the legalities of the sensational case.
The Rajasthan Police officials will be reaching here later today to identify the arrested youth who was working as a Probationary Officer in a public sector bank in Kannur for the last three years impersonating as `Raghav Rajan` from Andhra Pradesh.
Bitti was sentenced to seven years imprisonment in 2006 for raping a 26-year-old German woman at Alwar. He was arrested here after absconding for nearly seven years by jumping parole.
Bitti has denied that his father helped him jump bail and get a new identity. Police suspect that at least three close relatives were in constant touch with Bitti.
In 2006, Bitti`s father had stood surety for his son`s return to prison in 15 days. He was given bail on the plea that his mother in Odisha was unwell and wanted to meet him. When Bitti jumped parole, his father was accused of helping him escape.
Bitti has been charged with cheating, forgery and impersonation by Kerala Police. He was remanded to 14-day judicial custody by a magistrate yesterday.
Bitti landed in trouble after the employees of the bank branch at Pazhayangadi grew suspicious of the true identity of their colleague on seeing his photo among pictures of accused in various sex crimes shown by TV channels and those floated on the Internet in the wake of the Delhi gangrape incident.
Bitti was picked up from his local residence on Friday evening and during interrogation revealed his true identity after initially trying to mislead the police.
Police said he has a fake passport, a driver`s licence and even an MBA degree certificate from Kannur in the name of Raghav Rajan.
The arrest proceedings were completed after police also corroborated their findings by interacting with their counterparts in Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
He pretended to be an Andhraite and during his stay also learnt to speak Malayalam well, without giving a clue to local people or his colleagues that he is a convict.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US