BJD MP submits 3 Private Members` Bills in Parliament
Bhubaneswar: Strongly favouring judicial reforms, senior BJD leader and Lok Sabha MP Baijayant Panda has submitted three Private Members` Bills for consideration of Parliament seeking de-criminalisation of politics.
"India is infamous for its understaffed and overworked judiciary, high pendency of cases in the Subordinate and High Courts, abysmally low number of judges and an ineffective public prosecution system," Panda said in a statement.
Even though setting the system right will require significant investment and political will in the long term, lasting changes can be effected if the roots of the problem are attacked in the short term, the MP from Kendrapara constituency in Odisha has said.
The Bills submitted by him are Representation of People (Amendment) Bill, 2013, Fast Track Courts for Elected Representatives Bill, 2013 and Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Bill, 2013, the statement said.
Noting that one of the most cancerous of these roots is criminalisation of politics, he said as per the report of the Association for Democratic Reforms, 76 of the 543 members elected to the Lok Sabha in 2009 had been charged with serious criminal offences such as murder, rape and dacoity.
With this trend becoming demoralising for the public, judicial reforms must begin with de-criminalisation of politics, Panda maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video