BJP accuses govt of trying to scuttle 2G probe
New Delhi: Defending the walkout of its members from the JPC meeting, BJP on Thursday alleged that the "brazen" manner in which the Congress leaders behaved showed the Government had a "gameplan" to scuttle the panel`s probe into the 2G spectrum scam.
"The gameplan of the government is very clear. They (Congress members) want to scuttle the whole process... They insisted on calling former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and (former Defence Minister) George Fernandes as witnesses.... They behaved in a brazen manner which is not acceptable to us," JPC member Yashwant Sinha told reporters.
Referring to yesterday`s meeting, Singh said Congress leaders used "worse than foul language" against the BJP members when they insisted on calling Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the then Finance Minister P Chidambaram as witnesses.
"They alleged that we are indulging in politics on the issue and said we will not allow this to become a kangaroo court," Sinha said.
BJP justified its demand that the Prime Minister should depose before the JPC and wondered why the Congress is opposed to the idea when he had himself offered to appear before the Public Accounts Committee(PAC) earlier.
"Substantial evidence is already available in the public domain in the form of letters written by Singh to former Telecom Minister A Raja pertaining to grant of 2G licenses and action thereafter," Sinha said.
He maintained that the government had stated in an affidavit in court in the 2G spectrum case that the Prime Minister was kept informed by Raja at each step about the developments in the spectrum allocations.
On Chidambaram`s role, Sinha said, "Only he can clarify why he finally abandoned the position taken by his ministry and him with regard to revision of entry fee and accepting all recommendations of Raja in a meeting with the PM on July 4, 2008," Sinha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!