BJP accuses JPC chairman of being `biased`, threatens to quit
New Delhi: After staging a walkout from the meeting of JPC examining the 2G spectrum scam, the BJP Tuesday accused its Chairman P C Chacko of being `biased` and threatened to quit the panel, saying a decision in this regard will be taken soon.
BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, who is a member of the Committee, said his party has lost faith in the panel and did not expect it to uncover the truth.
"All of us have come to the conclusion that there is no point in continuing to serve in the JPC because the manner in which the Chairman of the JPC is functioning, it is quite clear that the Joint Parliamentary Committee is not now an instrument for uncovering the truth," Sinha told reporters here.
Alleging that the Committee has become an "instrument" for "putting a cover to conceal and not indulge in honest inquiry", Sinha said, a decision on whether the BJP members would continue in the panel will be taken after discussions with the party leadership soon.
Sinha said the party will deliberate on this soon after Thursday`s Bharat bandh organised by the party against the diesel price hike and FDI issues.
His statement came hours after the BJP members led by him walked out of the JPC meeting, alleging that they were being "gagged" and not allowed to speak on the issue of finalising the list of witnesses to be called before the Committee.
The BJP members had stormed out of the last JPC meeting on August 22 also following a clash with Congress members.
"We will apprise the party leadership of all that has transpired and the party will soon take a decision soon," he said.
Sinha charged Chacko with being `biased` and behaving as a spokesperson of the Congress.
"I can`t think of any committee where a chairman would behave like this and gag a member in a highly dictatorial manner. This is reminiscent of the Emergency. He did not behave as an impartial chairman. He truly behaved like a spokesperson of the Congress party," Sinha said.
"We, the members of the JPC, have no heart for this kind of conduct of business in the JPC. We have withdrawn from the Committee today and as far as the further course of action is concerned the party will take a call after the Bharat bandh on September 20."
He also attacked the Congress leadership of "dictating" Chacko in the running of the JPC.
We feel very strongly that the Committee and its Chairman is not being allowed to function impartially.
The direction obviously is coming from somewhere else.
The Committee Chairman is being directed to behave in a certain manner and put us down in the Committee.
"In order to conceal the truth, they abused the Chairman of the PA. In this particular case, they are misusing the position of Chairman of JPC by behaving in this dictatorial fashion and putting a purdah on the truth."
The BJP said it would prefer to bring the truth directly before the people instead of a dissent note in the JPC.
"We will certainly tell the people of the country what we perceive to be the truth. When the time comes, we certainly tell the people. When we come out with the truth, it will be stronger than the note of dissent," Sinha said.
Reiterating BJP`s stand that the examination of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram before the JPC was "very relevant" as witnesses, another party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said, "There is no scope for an impartial probe by the JPC."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt