BJP accuses Pawan Bansal of favouring catering contractors
Chandigarh: BJP on Saturday accused former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal of favouring the contractors by reducing license fee on catering contracts, causing "massive" financial losses to railways.
"Former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal reduced the licensee on catering contracts from 15 percent to 10 percent applicable for several trains (Rajdhani, Shatabdi etc) in a clandestine manner in order to favour contractors. It has resulted into heavy losses to the railways," BJP Executive Committee member, Satya Pal Jain told reporters here today.
"Earlier, contractors used to pay Rs 15 lakh as license fee on sale from train of Rs 1 crore, now they pay Rs 10 lakh, which saved their Rs 5 lakh," alleged Jain.
Ex-MP from Chandigarh further alleged that the contractors were given government land at throwaway prices by the railway ministry under the charge of Pawan Kumar Bansal with a clear aim of giving financial benefits to them.
"Contractors were charged just Rs 1 per square feet per year as land license fee for railway land (to be used for setting up kitchens). It also caused huge financial loss to railways," Jain alleged.
Chairman of BJP`s National legal cell sought CBI inquiry in this case to establish whether there was any connivance between Pawan Bansal, railway officials and contractors with regard to catering policy which resulted into loses to railways.
Raising question over the CBI investigation into bribery case which led to the resignation of Pawan Kumar Bansal from Railway ministry, Jain said, "going by the pace of CBI investigation, it seems that UPA government wanted to protect (Pawan Bansal) by forcing CBI to clear his name in the bribery scandal," he alleged.
"Till now, Pawan Kumar Bansal has not been questioned in the bribery case by the CBI despite the fact that it was an open and shut case," he said.
Jain said if Centre tries to "hush up" the case in order to protect Pawan Kumar Bansal then the BJP would not hesitate from also knocking the door of Supreme Court or High Court.
"The CBI should make the taped conversation in bribery case be made public," he said.
He demanded that the CBI should investigate on the lines of inquiry being conduced in IPL spot fixing matter where every person whose name appears in the case is being questioned by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now