BJP accuses UPA of contempt of Parliament
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday charged the government
with showing contempt of Parliament by not discussing a
crucial issue like allowing 51 per cent FDI in retail on the
floor of the House and held the Manmohan Singh regime
responsible for its repeated adjournments.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on
Twitter, "On Friday the House was stalled on the issue of 51%
FDI in retail. Parliament is in session and government
announced a decision of such far reaching consequences outside
The government had taken a cabinet decision to allow 51
per cent FDI in multi-brand retail and increased the FDI in
single-brand to 100 per cent. The BJP and the Left parties,
among others, have criticised this move.
"It is a contempt of the House. They should have
discussed this issue in the Parliament and taken a decision in
accordance with the sense of the House. They bypass the
Parliament. We cannot accept this," Swaraj said.
The opposition parties are likely to rake up this issue
again on Monday. BJP and the Left parties are mulling over
moving an adjournment motion to demand a discussion on
allowing FDI in retail.
Swaraj also accused the government of stalling
Parliament due to its attitude towards the Opposition.
"I wish to ask Pranab Da (Finance Minister): Who
stalled the Parliament on Thursday afternoon? Does he remember
that there was a consensus in his presence that the price rise
be discussed at 2 pm on Thursday and adjournment motion on
blackmoney was to be taken up on Monday?" Swaraj said.
Swaraj maintained that all opposition leaders were
present in the House for discussion on price rise at 2 pm on
Thursday but none of the cabinet ministers.
"I am sorry to say that Finance Minister Shri Pranab
Mukherjee was not present in the House. Congress members
started shouting slogans and disrupted the House. I tried to
persuade them to let the House function but they did not
listen. Nobody from the Congress tried to control them and
House had to be adjourned," Swaraj said.
She alleged that it is the Congress members who disrupt
the House while Mukherjee is appealing to the opposition to
let the House run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video