BJP accuses US of double standards on diplomat issue
New Delhi: Accusing the US of double standards, BJP on Thursday said circumstances surrounding the criminal case against Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade were suspicious and the issue impinged upon the sovereignty of India.
Downplaying the regret offered by the US over its treatment of Khobragade, the Opposition party said it was for the Indian government to see "what type of regret is there".
Party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said the larger issue is the way the maid`s parents fled to the US on a visa quickly given, indicating a well thought-out plan.
"The maid`s parents were made to flee to the US on a visa quickly given. Now she (maid) is seeking shelter as a person under harassment. All these hint that a lot of suspicious circumstances are there," he said.
He wondered what would be the US response if one of its diplomats was treated in a way half as bad as Khobragade.
"One of its (US) diplomats was charged with murder in Pakistan. He was flown out within a week. US needs to explain its double standards," he said.
Prasad said Khobragade represents the image of a sovereign country and Indian government will take into account that the country is "deeply agitated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic