BJP agitates countrywide over price rise
New Delhi: BJP on Friday held country-wide agitations on the sensitive issue of price rise with its leaders courting arrest to impress upon the people the "need to overthrow" the UPA government for its "failures".
The one-day Jail Bharo Andolan saw Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, along with former party chief Rajnath Singh and vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, hold a demonstration at Jantar Mantar in the capital.
"Public is not with the government. They cannot run the government. They are not able to manage things and governance is zero under UPA. Only thing the government is doing is to adopt several tricks to mislead other political parties to get their work done in Parliament and other elections," Jaitley said, addressing the crowd.
BJP claimed the agitation against "anti-people" policies of the government was a "complete success".
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj led the agitation in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, while party president Nitin Gadkari courted arrest in Nagpur.
BJP had launched a "Jan Sangharsh Abhiyan" all over the country from June 7-21 under which marches, rallies, public meetings and demonstrations were held to protest against price rise and hike in the petrol prices.
Others who were arrested today are M Venkaiah Naidu (at Hyderabad), Smriti Irani (Jammu), Vasundhara Raje (Jhalawad), Ananth Kumar (Bangalore), Ravi Shankar Prasad (Patna), Yashwant Sinha (Ranchi), J P Nadda (Chandigarh), Dharmendra Pradhan (Raipur), and B S Koshiyari (Udham Singh Nagar).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city