BJP agitates countrywide over price rise
New Delhi: BJP on Friday held country-wide agitations on the sensitive issue of price rise with its leaders courting arrest to impress upon the people the "need to overthrow" the UPA government for its "failures".
The one-day Jail Bharo Andolan saw Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, along with former party chief Rajnath Singh and vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, hold a demonstration at Jantar Mantar in the capital.
"Public is not with the government. They cannot run the government. They are not able to manage things and governance is zero under UPA. Only thing the government is doing is to adopt several tricks to mislead other political parties to get their work done in Parliament and other elections," Jaitley said, addressing the crowd.
BJP claimed the agitation against "anti-people" policies of the government was a "complete success".
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj led the agitation in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, while party president Nitin Gadkari courted arrest in Nagpur.
BJP had launched a "Jan Sangharsh Abhiyan" all over the country from June 7-21 under which marches, rallies, public meetings and demonstrations were held to protest against price rise and hike in the petrol prices.
Others who were arrested today are M Venkaiah Naidu (at Hyderabad), Smriti Irani (Jammu), Vasundhara Raje (Jhalawad), Ananth Kumar (Bangalore), Ravi Shankar Prasad (Patna), Yashwant Sinha (Ranchi), J P Nadda (Chandigarh), Dharmendra Pradhan (Raipur), and B S Koshiyari (Udham Singh Nagar).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital