BJP agitates countrywide over price rise
New Delhi: BJP on Friday held country-wide agitations on the sensitive issue of price rise with its leaders courting arrest to impress upon the people the "need to overthrow" the UPA government for its "failures".
The one-day Jail Bharo Andolan saw Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, along with former party chief Rajnath Singh and vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, hold a demonstration at Jantar Mantar in the capital.
"Public is not with the government. They cannot run the government. They are not able to manage things and governance is zero under UPA. Only thing the government is doing is to adopt several tricks to mislead other political parties to get their work done in Parliament and other elections," Jaitley said, addressing the crowd.
BJP claimed the agitation against "anti-people" policies of the government was a "complete success".
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj led the agitation in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, while party president Nitin Gadkari courted arrest in Nagpur.
BJP had launched a "Jan Sangharsh Abhiyan" all over the country from June 7-21 under which marches, rallies, public meetings and demonstrations were held to protest against price rise and hike in the petrol prices.
Others who were arrested today are M Venkaiah Naidu (at Hyderabad), Smriti Irani (Jammu), Vasundhara Raje (Jhalawad), Ananth Kumar (Bangalore), Ravi Shankar Prasad (Patna), Yashwant Sinha (Ranchi), J P Nadda (Chandigarh), Dharmendra Pradhan (Raipur), and B S Koshiyari (Udham Singh Nagar).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra