BJP agitates countrywide over price rise
New Delhi: BJP on Friday held country-wide agitations on the sensitive issue of price rise with its leaders courting arrest to impress upon the people the "need to overthrow" the UPA government for its "failures".
The one-day Jail Bharo Andolan saw Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, along with former party chief Rajnath Singh and vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, hold a demonstration at Jantar Mantar in the capital.
"Public is not with the government. They cannot run the government. They are not able to manage things and governance is zero under UPA. Only thing the government is doing is to adopt several tricks to mislead other political parties to get their work done in Parliament and other elections," Jaitley said, addressing the crowd.
BJP claimed the agitation against "anti-people" policies of the government was a "complete success".
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj led the agitation in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, while party president Nitin Gadkari courted arrest in Nagpur.
BJP had launched a "Jan Sangharsh Abhiyan" all over the country from June 7-21 under which marches, rallies, public meetings and demonstrations were held to protest against price rise and hike in the petrol prices.
Others who were arrested today are M Venkaiah Naidu (at Hyderabad), Smriti Irani (Jammu), Vasundhara Raje (Jhalawad), Ananth Kumar (Bangalore), Ravi Shankar Prasad (Patna), Yashwant Sinha (Ranchi), J P Nadda (Chandigarh), Dharmendra Pradhan (Raipur), and B S Koshiyari (Udham Singh Nagar).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH