BJP announces agitation against graft, price rise
Mumbai: Stepping up its attack on the Congress-led UPA government, BJP on Wednesday announced a nationwide agitation on the twin issues of price rise and corruption.
`Jan Sangharsh` agitation will start on June 7 and end with `jail bharo` stir on June 22, party Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
"During the period, we will organise rallies and padyatras against the government at district and tehsil levels and end the protest with a jail bharo," he said here.
"All national and state leaders, MPs, MLAs, office-bearers of the BJP will participate in the Jan Sangharsh and court arrest on June 22," Naqvi said.
Addressing a press conference, the BJP leader said the country was passing through difficult times because Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was leading a "corrupt" government and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was their "protector". "They are encouraging corruption under the garb of honesty."
Naqvi charged that in the eight years of the UPA administration, scams and corruption have broken all records.
"The import of crude oil is about 85 per cent of the present requirement. However, during the NDA regime, it was 65 to 70 per cent because we focused on alternate sources like piped gas, bio-diesel, ethanol. Later there was zero progress on this matter. The UPA government is helping oil mafia and those responsible for rise in prices of essential commodities."
Naqvi said instead of attacking the main opposition party, the Congress, heading the ruling coalition, will serve the country well by fighting corruption and price rise.
"Our agitation will continue till this insensitive government wakes up and takes note of hardships being faced by the people," the BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what