BJP announces agitation against graft, price rise
Mumbai: Stepping up its attack on the Congress-led UPA government, BJP on Wednesday announced a nationwide agitation on the twin issues of price rise and corruption.
`Jan Sangharsh` agitation will start on June 7 and end with `jail bharo` stir on June 22, party Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
"During the period, we will organise rallies and padyatras against the government at district and tehsil levels and end the protest with a jail bharo," he said here.
"All national and state leaders, MPs, MLAs, office-bearers of the BJP will participate in the Jan Sangharsh and court arrest on June 22," Naqvi said.
Addressing a press conference, the BJP leader said the country was passing through difficult times because Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was leading a "corrupt" government and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was their "protector". "They are encouraging corruption under the garb of honesty."
Naqvi charged that in the eight years of the UPA administration, scams and corruption have broken all records.
"The import of crude oil is about 85 per cent of the present requirement. However, during the NDA regime, it was 65 to 70 per cent because we focused on alternate sources like piped gas, bio-diesel, ethanol. Later there was zero progress on this matter. The UPA government is helping oil mafia and those responsible for rise in prices of essential commodities."
Naqvi said instead of attacking the main opposition party, the Congress, heading the ruling coalition, will serve the country well by fighting corruption and price rise.
"Our agitation will continue till this insensitive government wakes up and takes note of hardships being faced by the people," the BJP leader said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!