BJP announces agitation against graft, price rise
Mumbai: Stepping up its attack on the Congress-led UPA government, BJP on Wednesday announced a nationwide agitation on the twin issues of price rise and corruption.
`Jan Sangharsh` agitation will start on June 7 and end with `jail bharo` stir on June 22, party Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
"During the period, we will organise rallies and padyatras against the government at district and tehsil levels and end the protest with a jail bharo," he said here.
"All national and state leaders, MPs, MLAs, office-bearers of the BJP will participate in the Jan Sangharsh and court arrest on June 22," Naqvi said.
Addressing a press conference, the BJP leader said the country was passing through difficult times because Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was leading a "corrupt" government and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was their "protector". "They are encouraging corruption under the garb of honesty."
Naqvi charged that in the eight years of the UPA administration, scams and corruption have broken all records.
"The import of crude oil is about 85 per cent of the present requirement. However, during the NDA regime, it was 65 to 70 per cent because we focused on alternate sources like piped gas, bio-diesel, ethanol. Later there was zero progress on this matter. The UPA government is helping oil mafia and those responsible for rise in prices of essential commodities."
Naqvi said instead of attacking the main opposition party, the Congress, heading the ruling coalition, will serve the country well by fighting corruption and price rise.
"Our agitation will continue till this insensitive government wakes up and takes note of hardships being faced by the people," the BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?