BJP appoints Narendra Modi`s aide Amit Shah in-charge of Uttar Pradesh
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close confidant and BJP general secretary Amit Shah was on Sunday appointed in charge of politically crucial Uttar Pradesh.
In a list of state in-charges, convenors and in charge of its various fronts announced on Sunday, BJP appointed its Andhra Pradesh strongman Bandaru Dattatray as one of its vice presidents. He has also been made the in charge of Kerala.
Dattatray was a minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
Shah, known for his organisational skills, will be in charge of UP which has 80 Lok Sabha seats. If BJP wants to return to power at the Centre, it will have to concentrate on Uttar Pradesh.
Party leader Ananth Kumar has been moved out Bihar and made in charge of Madhya Pradesh which will go for assembly elections in the next few months.
BJP`s Rajya Sabha member J P Nadda has been appointed in charge of Chhattisgarh which will also go for assembly polls shortly.
Former Uttar Pradesh unit chief Ramapati Ram Tripathi, considered close to party president Rajnath Singh, has been made in charge of Jharkhand.
Rajiv Pratap Rudy, who was recently elevated as general secretary, has been appointed in charge of crucial Maharashtra where Congress and NCP are in power for the past several years.
Rajasthan, which also goes for assembly polls, got a new party in charge in Captan Singh.
Varun Gandhi, who was recently mired in a controversy over hate speeches in Uttar Pradesh, has been appointed in charge of West Bengal where Trinamool Congress is in power.
Actor-turned MP Smiriti Irani will be the in charge of Goa while another party leader S S Ahluwalia will be in charge of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'