BJP apprehensive on execution of Kasab`s sentence
New Delhi: Even as Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Kasab`s death sentence was upheld, the Bhartiya Janata party Monday expressed apprehension over the execution of the sentence.
"The court has sentenced Kasab, but the question is whether he will be hanged because the ruling party will again say that he is in the queue. The death sentence has been given, but when it will be executed depends on the government," party spokeperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters outside Parliament.
The Bombay High Court on Monday upheld the death sentence awarded to Kasab by a lower court for the killings during the 26/11 terrorist strike.
The main opposition party said that the execution of Kasab`s sentence may be stalled just like that of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"Afzal Guru is still in the queue to be hanged even after the Supreme Court verdict," he said.
Reiterating the party`s demand for hanging Guru, Javadekar demanded Kasab`s sentence be executed soon.
"We demand that whether it is Kasab or Afzal Guru, there should not be any queue. Those who have acted against the country should be hanged immediately," he said.
Kasab`s sentence was hailed by Home Minister P Chidambaram as a "victory of Indian legal system."
"It is the victory of the Indian legal system. It shows that the legal system should be left to take its own course," Chidambaram told reporters outside parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown