BJP apprehensive on execution of Kasab`s sentence
New Delhi: Even as Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Kasab`s death sentence was upheld, the Bhartiya Janata party Monday expressed apprehension over the execution of the sentence.
"The court has sentenced Kasab, but the question is whether he will be hanged because the ruling party will again say that he is in the queue. The death sentence has been given, but when it will be executed depends on the government," party spokeperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters outside Parliament.
The Bombay High Court on Monday upheld the death sentence awarded to Kasab by a lower court for the killings during the 26/11 terrorist strike.
The main opposition party said that the execution of Kasab`s sentence may be stalled just like that of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"Afzal Guru is still in the queue to be hanged even after the Supreme Court verdict," he said.
Reiterating the party`s demand for hanging Guru, Javadekar demanded Kasab`s sentence be executed soon.
"We demand that whether it is Kasab or Afzal Guru, there should not be any queue. Those who have acted against the country should be hanged immediately," he said.
Kasab`s sentence was hailed by Home Minister P Chidambaram as a "victory of Indian legal system."
"It is the victory of the Indian legal system. It shows that the legal system should be left to take its own course," Chidambaram told reporters outside parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends