BJP asks centre to lobby for Nobel prize for Mahakumbh
Dehra Dun: The ruling BJP in Uttarakhand has asked the Centre to launch a vigorous campaign for Nobel Peace prize to be given to the Mahakumbh Mela this year, a demand ridiculed by the Congress.
"This is not only historic but also unique that such a large number of people from all parts of the world came to Haridwar for Mahakumbh. We strongly believe that the Mahakumbh, which is a national festival, must be given this year`s Nobel peace prize," BJP state president Bishan Singh Chufal said.
Chufal supported Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank`s view, who recently said Mahakumbh Mela deserves a Nobel prize for being world`s largest religious gathering that attracted more than five crore people from 140 countries.
However, Congress ridiculed the demand for Nobel prize saying there were incidents like stamped
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test