BJP asks govt to bring bill on Telangana in next Parliament session
New Delhi: Demanding creation of Telangana
state, a BJP delegation from Andhra Pradesh Wednesday met Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and asked the government to
table a Bill in this regard in the next session of Parliament.
"We met the Prime Minister and he gave us a patient
hearing. We reminded him about the declaration made by the
Home Minister a year ago that the process of Telangana
formation would be set in motion," BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu
told reporters outside Parliament here.
The delegation including party`s state chief G Kishan
Reddy and former Union minister Bandaru Dattatreya offered
full support to the government if a Bill for the purpose was
moved by it in the next session.
"We urged the government to table a Bill for the
creation of separate state of Telangana in Parliament and said
the BJP will support it once it is there," Naidu said.
He said the Prime Minister agreed with BJP`s
contention that any delay in the matter was not in the
interest of the state.
"We reminded him that undue delay was not in the
interest of the state to which the PM responded that delay and
uncertainty were not good for a progressing state like Andhra
Pradesh," Naidu said.
The Prime Minister, he said, assured the delegation
that further steps in this direction would be taken after
receiving the report of Srikrishna Commission.
The BJP leaders also demanded that cases against
student leaders involved in the Telangana agitation be
withdrawn by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore