BJP asks Sonia to break silence over Anderson`s exit
Lucknow: The BJP on Saturday asked Congress
President Sonia Gandhi to break her silence on the then Union
Carbide chief Warren Anderson`s exit and said the UPA should
learn a lesson from the Bhopal gas verdict and withdraw the
nuclear liability bill.
"I would like to know why Sonia Gandhi and Rahul
are mainitaining silence over the issue," BJP Spokesman
Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters here.
Referring to the statement of the son of the then Home
Minister P V Narasimha Rao that his father had nothing to with
Anderson and the remark by former chief minister Arjun Singh
putting the entire responsibility on the Centre, he said,
"They should break the silence and tell the people what the
The party spokesman alleged that Congress leaders,
whether from the state or the Centre, were responsible for
providing safe passage to Warren Anderson.
Noting that the Bhopal tragedy should be an eye
opener, he demanded that the Centre withdraw the Civil
Liability for Nuclear Damage Bill, 2010 which was now before
a Parliamentary Standing Committee for scrutiny. "The bill is
not acceptable to BJP," he said.
He said the bill does not have provisions to make
foreign operators pay adequate compensation to victims in case
of nuclear disasters. The proposed law fixes a cap of Rs 500
crore on compensation to be given to nuclear accident victims
whereas it is Rs 60,000 crore in the US.
"Instead of taking lesson from Bhopal tragedy, the
Congress, which talks about `aam admi` (common man), is more
concerned about the interests of foreigners," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in