BJP attacks Antony on VVIP chopper deal
New Delhi: The BJP Monday attacked Defence Minister AK Antony on the VVIP chopper deal, saying he was "guilty" too as the deal came about during his tenure, and said it will raise the issue during the coming Budget Session.
"Antony has given several orders to inquire into the monumental chopper scam. He is struggling to keep his Mr Clean image on the forefront by desperately ordering inquiry and notice to cancel it," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy told reporters.
"He has been the defence minister since October 2006 and is guilty of what happened under him as minister," he said.
Rudy said BJP will raise the matter in the budget session of Parliament starting Feb 21.
The BJP has compared the $750 million scandal to the Bofors gun scam.
The opposition has also demanded that the matter be fully probed by either a special team or under the monitoring of the Supreme Court.
A controversy has risen following alleged corruption in the February 2010 deal to acquire 12 AW101 helicopters from Finmeccanica`s subsidiary AgustaWestland for the Indian Air Force`s elite Communication Squadron, which ferries the president, prime minister and other VVIPs.
The Defence Ministry Friday initiated action for cancellation of the contract. It also issued a formal show-cause notice to the Britain-based subsidiary of Finmeccanica to explain within a week why the contract should not be cancelled.
The matter came to light when Italian agencies arrested Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi for alleged corruption to seal the deal last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid