BJP attacks Cong on Communal Violence Bill issue
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday slammed the government for reviving the Communal Violence Bill, alleging this is being done by Congress for vote bank politics and warned this could lead to a civil war-like situation.
"Government is trying to bring back the Prevention of Communal and Targeted Violence Bill, 2011. It is actually a Communal targeted vote Bill," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters.
Describing the move as a "self-goal" by Congress, he said earlier the ruling party had tried to raise the bogey of reservations on the basis of religion during Uttar Pradesh poll. The party has alleged that with assembly polls round the corner in five states, it is now talking about the Communal Violence Bill.
"The Bill can take the situation towards a civil war. You cannot say that all the people from a particular community are rioters", he said.
"Congress has tried to tell the people that it is the biggest well-wisher of the minorities. But this move shows the negative and non-sensical mentality of Congress," Naqvi charged.
He said how the government could bring a Bill in Parliament that targets a particular community for any riots that take place.
"A riot-monger or a terrorist has no religion. Soon after coming to power, UPA government had removed POTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act) to prove they are `terror-friendly`," Naqvi said with a tinge of sarcasm.
He alleged added Congress is now adopting a similar attitude towards riots.
"Congress is professionally and traditionally an exploiter of votes. We strongly oppose the Communal Violence Bill. This is an attempt to divide society on communal lines. Those who indulge in such negative politics of `self secular syndicates` will be wiped out in the upcoming elections," Naqvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?