BJP attacks government, SP and BSP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday hit out at the government for not agreeing to voting in Parliament on FDI in retail issue and made a veiled attack on SP and BSP for not pressing for voting on it alleging they are speaking differently outside and inside Parliament.
BJP also charged Congress and its allies with obstructing Parliament and said it wants Parliament to function and is not esponsible for the current situation.
Terming the issue of FDI in multi-brand retail as a policy decision which affects on the lives of millions in important sectors of agriculture and retail trade, BJP said it wants a discussion on it in Parliament and voting.
"BJP wants this serious issue be discussed in Parliament and hold voting. Some political parties speak differently outside and inside Parliament. We should think in nation`s interest. It is a policy matter. It concerns millions in agriculture and retail trade," BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said.
"When you are reduced to a minority, your allies are not agreeing, then how can you bring FDI in retail sector? Mr Prime Minister, FDI in retail is not in the interest of the country. It is against the country`s interest," Naidu said.
Accusing the government of going back on its assurances given in Parliament on December 7, 2011 on FDI, he said "what happened to the assurances? It is a contempt of Parliament. It is a betrayal of Parliament. You have brought in FDI through back-door."
Charging the ruling parties with not allowing Parliament to function, Naidu said "people should see who is obstructing the functioning of the House. It is the ruling party and its allies which are obstructing Parliament. We are not responsible for the present situation," he said.
He said when Congress was in opposition during NDA rule, it had opposed the move in Parliament through its leader Priyaranjan Dasmunshi, terming it as `anti-national`.
"If it was anti-national at that time, how can it be pro-national now," he said, adding "why the change of stand? Why this U-turn?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says