BJP attacks govt on Gen`s age row
New Delhi: BJP on Monday attacked the government
accusing it of having lost credibility after the Army Chief
Gen VK Singh dragged the government to the Supreme Court on
the issue of his date of birth.
"It is a complete lack of statecraft of the government.
Shockingly, the issue, which should have been resolved
amicably, is calling for a judicial intervention. This is
unfortunate and shows a complete erosion of the credibility of
the government," said BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
His party colleague Balbir Punj also attacked the
government for its alleged "inefficient" handling of the
"I wish they had paid more attention trying to talk to the
General at an appropriate time and there would have been no
problem because the General is known as a very reasonable
person", he said and charged that "but unfortunately, the UPA
II has been too busy politically and they did not pay adequate
attention and handled the issue totally inefficiently".
Gen Singh has moved the Supreme Court challenging the
government`s rejection of his claim on his date of birth while
making it an issue of his "honour and integrity".
The Defence Ministry had recently rejected his contention
that he was born in 1951 and not in 1950. In its recent order,
the Defence Ministry fixed his date of birth as May 10, 1950,
and not May 10, 1951, which the General has claimed his real
date of birth as per his matriculation certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!