BJP attacks govt over Army Chief letter issue
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday asked the government to
clear the air in Parliament over the controversy arising out
of the Army Chief`s letter to the Prime Minister, saying the
country`s defence preparedness was "suffering" because of the
Noting that the Army Chief`s letter has pointed out "the
indecision on part of government", BJP spokesman Prakash
Javadekar said, "Our defence is suffering because of
indecision and that is what we condemn."
"It becomes more serious when the Army Chief himself
tells that the situation is worsening day by day," he said.
The letter has revealed that there was "no procurement,
no modernisation, no sufficient equipment. Funds are lying
unutilized and this situation is precarious," Javadekar said.
Noting that India shares a large border with China,
Pakistan and other countries, he said, "We must be always
The Rajya Sabha MP said the letter was not a new one and
he had referred to it during a recent speech in Parliament.
"The letter written by V K Singh is not a new letter and
I referred this letter in my speech during the (debate on)
Motion of Thanks on the President`s address," he told
reporters outside Parliament House.
The Army Chief has reportedly contended in the letter
that the entire tank fleet is "devoid of critical ammunition
to defeat enemy tanks", the air defence is "97 per cent
obsolete" and the infantry is crippled with "deficiencies of
crew served weapon" and lacks "night fighting" capabilities.
BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said the Prime Minister and
Defence Minister should explain what steps have been taken to
tackle the situation.
"This is a serious and sensitive issue. It will affect
the morale of the armed forces. Now the secret letter has been
made public so we want the government should take Parliament
into confidence and PM and Defence Minister should tell what
follow-up actions have been taken to control the situation,"
Naidu told reporters outside Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'