BJP attacks Modi-baiter cop Sreekumar, rakes up ISRO spy case
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday alleged that former Gujarat DGP R B Sreekumar levelled charges of fake encounters against the Narendra Modi`s government as a quid pro quo for the UPA dispensation giving him a clean chit in ISRO spy case "fabricated" by him.
At a press conference held here, BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi played an audio CD of a telephone conversation allegedly between Rais Khan, a close aide of activist- lawyer Teesta Setalvad, and Sreekumar to "prove" that the IPS officer and Setalvad were working in tandem to target the Modi government.
In the recording, which the party claimed is also available on the Internet, Sreekumar purportedly says, "Teesta helped me when the chargesheet (on fake encounters) was given to me."
The main opposition alleged that Sreekumar had earlier fabricated the ISRO spy case of 1994 which he had probed while on deputation with the Intelligence Bureau.
He was, however, given a clean chit by the UPA government in 2004. In return for this, The BJp alleged, he launched a tirade against the Modi government when he was posted back to his parent cadre, Gujarat.
Lekhi alleged that "patriotic" scientist Nambi Narayan, who was a suspect in the ISRO spy case, was branded a traitor and also ill-treated and tortured by Sreekumar during his 50-day incarceration.
Later, Sreekumar was charged on nine counts including not preparing a written statement of interrogation of Narayanan, leaving the interrogation statements unsigned and undated and failing to conduct verification about the veracity of the statements of the accused persons as recorded by the team of IB officers without assigning any reasons.
This resulted in irreparable loss and humiliation to respectable scientists of ISRO and others, according to chargesheet.
However, in 2004, the Home Ministry dropped seven of the nine charges against Sreekumar "without any inquiry".
"As a part of the quid pro-quo, he was expected to launch a tirade full of lies and untruths against the BJP government in Gujarat for political reasons. Apparently, Sreekumar honoured his part of the deal with his political suitors and he continues to do the same even today," Lekhi alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees