BJP attacks PM on corruption at national council meet
Surajkund: Targeting the Prime Minister, BJP on Friday accused him of leading his party and government in attacking and subverting constitutional institutions in a bid to shield corruption and demanded a probe by Supreme Court appointed SIT into coal blocks allocation issue.
"This government is engaging in corruption and is then being brazen about it. Have they got any inner conscience which is needed to continue in office? This is a government of, for and by the corrupt," senior leader Murli Manohar Joshi while moving a political resolution at the BJP National Council here.
Slamming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for questioning institutions like Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) and Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC), it said this is a dangerous trend for democracy and called for overthrowing the present dispensation.
"In an unacceptable fashion, the Prime Minister topped up the effort of the Congress spokesperson in attacking a constitutional authority such as the CAG. They attributed political motives to the CAG and maligned the institutions.
"This is totally unacceptable in a democracy and the Congress shall only regret this grave error committed by the Prime Minister himself," Joshi said.
He charged that though Singh is directly responsible for the anomalies in coal block allocations, he has refused to accept it and instead challenged the institutions.
"The biggest regret is that the Prime Minister has said what the CAG claims is wrong and we will challenge it in the PAC," Joshi said, pointing out that the PM had made this statement both inside and outside Parliament.
He wondered what impact this would have on the cabinet ministers and senior officials when they are called by the PAC or indicted by CAG as they may also get encouraged by the Prime Minister`s attitude and start questioning these institutions.
BJP insisted that the administrative and financial accountability of every government has to be fixed in a democracy.
The party alleged that "corporate lobbyists had decided who would be given which cabinet portfolio".
"If institutions are finished in this manner it would endanger democracy... This is a dangerous trend. Where are we headed?" Joshi said.
The party also questioned the absence of any code of conduct for the presidential and vice-presidential elections and maintained that special packages given by the Centre to the states to garner support for its candidates in such polls should be stopped.
BJP demanded cancellation of all the 142 coal block allocations and a probe by a Supreme Court appointed Special investigation Team (SIT) into the Rs 1.86 Lakh Crore scam.
The party also expressed serious concern over the desecration of the Amar Jawan Jyoti memorial in Mumbai by a crowd of protesters, the ethnic violence in Assam, communal riots in Uttar Pradesh since SP came to power.
Senior party leader Rajnath Singh objected to the Prime Minister`s earlier statement that Muslims have the first right to the country`s resources, saying resources cannot be allocated on basis of caste and religion.
He drew attention to the attacks on sarpanches in Jammu and Kashmir, encroachment of land on the Bangladesh border, giving citizenship to Hindu refugees from Pakistan, among other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly